Protecting Rye’s historic heritage
for future generations
Rye Conservation Society is a registered charity -
In 1377 most of the timber houses in Rye were destroyed when the French set fire to the town. They were rebuilt using timber, notably oak frame construction, because there was a plentiful supply of wood but no good local stone.
The form of construction generally followed that of the "hall house" found in this part of south east England of which there are a number still surviving in Rye whilst small "fishermen's cottages" were crowded into parts of the town nearer the river.
The form of construction was a sturdy timber frame of large section oak, often pre-
Jettied first floor of timber framed house
Timber Framed House:
The Old Hospital, Mermaid Street
Images and text by John Griffiths, Rye Conservation Society